The Ministry of Labour, Family, Social Protection and Elderly was set up in March 1920 as the Ministry of Labour and Social Protection. It is the central public administration specialized body subordinated to the Romanian Government having the comprehensive role to ensure and coordinate the implementation of governmental policies in the following fields:
- equal opportunities ;
- social protection.
Its fields of responsibility are the following:
- Social policies;
- Labour legislation;
- Health and safety at work;
- Social insurances;
- Partnership and social dialogue;
- European affairs and international relations.
The Ministry of Labour, Family, Social Protection and Elderly medium-term priorities in its field of activity are as follows:
- to strike a balance and consolidate the social security system;
- to improve the access to employment and vocational training services and the health and safety at work for workers, by observing the principle of equal opportunities and treatment between women and men;
- to improve the life quality by promoting cohesive family policies;
- to ensure an efficient management of the European Social Fund;
- to develop and diversify the social services system at community level with a view to prevent the risk of marginalization and social exclusion;
- to promote the principle of equal opportunities in all areas of social life;
- to develop an efficient tripartite social dialogue.
The minister of labour, family and social protection is assisted in his activity of managing the ministry by 2 secretaries of state, appointed by prime-minister’s decision.
Institutions operating under the authority of the Ministry of Labour, Family, Social Protection and Elderly are the following:
- The National House of Public Pensions;
- The National Agency for Employment.
Institutions functioning in the subordination of Ministry of Labour, Family, Social Protection and Elderly are the following:
- Labour Inspection;
- National Agency for Social Benefits;
- Intermediate regional offices for managing ESF.
Institutions functioning in the coordination of Ministry of Labour, Family, Social Protection and Elderly:
- National Institute for Scientific Research in the field of Labour and Social Protection;
- National Institute for Research and Development “Alexandru Darabont”-Bucharest.